Samba sees network computers but, does not share

I've had a few problems connecting to other Windows computers on my network since I installed Ubuntu / UbuntuStudio 9.04. This solution worked for me.

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf

Find the [global] section, and insert this line:

Code:

client lanman auth = yes

You need to reboot after saving the samb.conf

When you log back in use the LAN IP address smb://192.162.x.x to find the computers you want to share files with. Make sure file sharing is enabled.

N.B: This works nicely for Ubuntu < -- > Windows filesharing. Its not that straight forward for Ubuntu < -- > Ubuntu filesharing. In my experience Samba only works properly between Ubuntu machines whan they are the same version (Intrepid to Intrepid or Hardy to Hardy)

0 comments:

My Instagram